Sunday, May 22, 2005


I Wish I Was A Little Bit Taller…..-cc

So, I’ll just say it now, I am not a huge sports person. Now that’s not necessarily to say that I don’t enjoy some sports.

For example, I love football and for Monday nights I will always be thankful. I like hockey. Actually let me clarify that, I like going to hockey games. There’s something about the cheap beer and men kicking each others asses that really gets me going. It’s kind of like watching gladiators.

As for basketball and baseball……I guess I just really need to be at the game……under the influence, to really get involved.

That being said, I want to state clearly and for the record that I am not a sports hater. I am merely just a person that cannot define life or death with all things involving balls, or pucks.
And especially when being good at handling one of those balls or pucks, means that you are entitled to a better lifestyle than say…..me…?

I am absolutely amazed at the amount of money that goes into paying professional athletes every year. And sure there are the die hard sports fans who will argue that these guys work hard for the money, but honestly to me, their just like work horses that are just dragging people along for a ride.
They are a distraction from life and all the crap around it, and for that I applaud them. They give people something to look forward to, something to care about, be competitive about, and talk about.

But should they really be making that much money?

I was talking to the roommate of a friend of mine and he says that as long as there are corporations out there big enough to sign the checks, than no one is getting hurt.

Now, I understand that concept, hell I even slightly agree with it, but does it really make it right? Instead of just saying, “Fuck It, that’s just how it is” shouldn’t we be saying, “share the wealth”?

With the economy being in the shape that it is right now, couldn’t we divert some of that superfluous money into things that are more deserving than say a……fifth car that someone will never drive….or a giant indoor ski slope?

But anyways, back to sports. Recently, just for laughs, I went online just to see how much the NBA players make in contrast with the WNBA players. I always wondered how weird it must be to be a female basketball player and to know that if you were just born with a penis, you would be a multimillionaire.

What I found was that although the WNBA has half of the amount of teams and players, the average salary is less than the lowest paid athlete in the NBA.

For example, one of the highest paid NBA players makes about $30 million a year. That is more than the entire salary cap for the WNBA times about 30.

Even the lowest paid NBA athlete makes more than the entire salary cap for the WNBA. Now I know that money comes from revenue, and I don’t know anyone who rushes out to buy tickets to WNBA games, or even watches them at home for free, but Wow, that’s really nuts.

Imagine destroying your body for a sport, racking up injuries and medical bills. How are you supposed to pay them on a salary average of $40K a year? Even the WNBA’s highest player only makes about $87 K.

Kinda sucks huh? Make you wonder why some women haven’t tried to have sex changes and play in the NBA. $30 million might be worth it to some people.

Well, Im sure that all these women aren’t completely at a loss. They can always have endorsement deals and advertising dollars coming in to dry their tears with, but man, if I loved basketball that much, I would be pissed.