Saturday, May 07, 2005

My Daily Dose-CC

So I know that people are probably sick and tired of hearing the youth of America regurgitate the satirical views of Comedy Central’s The Daily Show as truth, I know I am, but I have to give it to Jon Stewart for keeping his show more real than a lot of top networks programming, even under the context of satire.

I sit in classes day after day at what is probably one of the most liberal institutions I have ever encountered, and I often find myself listening to people spout out often lopsided views on politics. And although my political leanings are a bit more towards the liberal side, I often find myself playing devil’s advocate or even defending some of the more conservative views of fellow students. And the only reason I feel compelled to do so is that people are not very well informed.

It saddens me completely to know that a majority of my fellow students, that will soon be stepping out into the world at large, base a majority of what they believe in off of what they hear in programs such as The Daily show, or even MTV News. Are you fucking kidding me?

Now, I watch the Daily Show, not religiously, but enough to respect Jon Stewarts approach to political satire. And although it bugs me to know that he is the main source of news for some of young America, I am relieved that at least someone can get them involved.

I respect Jon Stewarts approach towards issues, and often times I don’t think he gets enough credit for balancing out the humor on all political parties. For example, he had Zell Miller, a notoriouslly outspoken and conservative former democratic senator, and gave him an opportunity to promote his book, although they both have completely opposite views on almost everything.

Long gone are the days of Walter Cronkite and journalism that would make anyone proud. There still are amazing people out their fighting for stories and to get the truth, but I guess it’s just a lot harder now to sift through all the implanted media run garbage. So when I’m dizzy from the sensory overloading that comes from endless hours of half-rate journalism, I’m glad there are people like Jon Stewart out there, to give me a dose of humor and even me out.